Friday, May 7, 2010

St. George, Utah

A couple days ago we rolled into St. George, Utah. This is the town that my next race, the St. George Olympic Distance Triathlon will be held in on Saturday the 15th. Utah sure is a beautiful state, with lots of canyons and slickrock formations that make for great biking and running trails.

We found a great hill to ride yesterday, steady climbing with technical slickrock steps. (Slickrock feels like sandpaper which helps for better grip on steeper climbs.)

Today we went running in Snow Canyon. Its an amazing place with sand and shrubbery meadows. Then the cliff walls loom over you the farther you go into the canyon.


Mom and Buffett jogging along for the adventure!


These rock walls used to be sand dunes, some 2,500 feet thick that eventually cemented into stone. Then water carved through the stones to make the canyons which left behind the rippling patterns on the wall behind me.



Another cool fact, this place was the filming site for Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, among other movies.



2 comments:

Sara Cox Landolt said...

Pretty run pics! & I loved the movie Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid, thanks for the trivia. :-) I also write athlete profiles on my blog. If you'd like to be featured, let me know.

Taylor Seavey said...

Sure that sounds like fun! Thanks, my email is taylorseavey@live.com email me if you have any questions.