Saturday, June 26, 2010

Family time

For this week Mom, Dad and I have been having some great family time with my sister, her husband and their 2 year old daughter!



It's Setra's 2nd birthday and this is the first time she swam on her own, without any of us holding her up. She really enjoys it!



Now, I'm about to share with you my training secret to my racing success.....




This water park is it! This was a fun-filled day at an

Aquatic Center in Pendleton, Oregon. Its about an hour's drive from La Grande.



Its a bit of a strength workout riding this see-saw with a 30 pound kid on the other end.



They had two nice water slides, an open tube and a closed tube slide.




Oregon Trail:



We also drove to visit the historical Oregon Trail site. During the 1800's, over a 20 year span, about 50,000 emigrants traveled from Missouri to Oregon in wagons like this pulled by mules and oxen. It took them from 4 to 6 months to traverse the length of the trail.



There also was an interpretive site building that we were planning on visiting, but it was closed because the power went out due to lightning and thunder storms.


These wagon ruts are part of the original Oregon Trail created by thousands of wagons passing through the lands searching for an ideal place to start new lives. The original trail was about 2,000 miles long, but now only 300 miles of the original trail remains.


Setra, my sister Tarah, and me.










1 comment:

Sara Cox Landolt said...

I think closed-tube slides are kindof scary!

Thanks for including the Oregon Trail pictures & info. I hope our family makes it out there sometime. I love how the original trail ruts remain.