Sunday, June 13, 2010

XTERRA Farragut

Yesterday I raced at Farragut State Park in northern Idaho. The day had perfect racing conditions. Beautiful and sunny weather, the trails were almost dry after all the rain showers. Everything was feeling good and I was just going in to have a fun day! About 60 people did the XTERRA race, which made it a bit low-key, but the competition was still high nonetheless!

The XTERRA race was hosted by Adventure Sports Week which was a full week of races such as swimming, running, mountain biking, and "Adventure Racing" which usually consists of kayaking, running, biking, rappelling and navigation.
This is the beach where we started the swim. Even though it was sunny outside they cut the 1 mile swim in half because the water was cold, about 53 degrees F due to 4 weeks of unusually cold, rainy weather and they were worried about health/safety issues for the people in the race.

The swim start was a mass start. I was on the far right, already swimming in this picture.



The swim was one 750 meter triangular loop from the beach, around two large orange buoys then back to the beach.

I was the 3rd swimmer out of the water.

It was a long run back up to transition from the beach, and all uphill!

Out of T1 (transition: getting out of my wetsuit then putting on my bike gear) and on to the bike.

This is one of the major hills on the beautiful 23 mile mountain bike race course of singletrack and doubletrack through meadows and pine and fir forests.

I was hammering it pretty good on the bike which left my legs a little cooked for the run.







Dad took all of the pictures of the race, he even got creative and climbed up a tree for this shot.

Off the bike and into T2 putting on my running shoes which isn't an overly easy task after riding hard for 1 hour and 40 minutes.
Out of T2 and heading out on my 10k run, the last leg of the race.

This gradual hill back to the finish seemed like it was about 20 miles long!

At the finish..... hungry, tired, thirsty, and happy to have put in an solid race effort. I finished in 10th place overall and I know that I did the best I could and am still improving!

I had a great family greeting at the end of my race, my great aunts and grandma from my mom's side came over from Seattle to watch and take in the triathlon racing atmosphere!
From left: Evelyn (great aunt), me, Elaina (grandma), and Eloise (great aunt).


















No comments: