Monday, September 27, 2010

XTERRA USA Championship. Snowbasin, Utah

I have been training in Seattle for 3 weeks after we left Bend, Oregon and parked our RV for the winter. I apologize for not having blogged in awhile. I've been super busy with my biggest training block of the season and was waiting to have new material. And here it is........ the Xterra National Championship Race in Ogden, Utah! This is the biggest XTERRA in America and the last XTERRA championship before the World Championship in Maui. The pros have been racing all season long to stack up their scores in the points series according to their placing at the West, Southcentral, Mountain, Southeast, and East championship races. The reward for the racer with the highest points at the end of the season takes home an extra $10,000 dollars along with the winnings. It also is the last race that offers slots for age-groupers to race in Worlds.


Some family members came from Alaska to watch the XTERRA! From left is Janine, Mitch, (my dad's brother) dad, me, and Janine and Mitch's youngest of 4 sons, Conway. We stopped for pictures and stretching our legs out at the Snake River canyon just past Twin Falls, Idaho. We drove from Seattle in a ghetto rent-a-wreck van 840 miles to Ogden, Utah.


When we arrived to Ogden Thursday afternoon I had to get into my race gear and meet the XTERRA TV crew at the Snowbasin ski resort for a tv interview! This was a fun experience, the crew was very easy to work with. My mom is interpreting everything that I say in sign language.


Also for the tv I had to do a couple posing shots and some action shots on my mountain bike and running.





My parents were interviewed too. They also were doing a feature appearance on Scott, a blind man who will be racing on Saturday as well.




On Friday, my cousin Conway and I went for an easy pre-race run and spin through Huntsville. It was a beautiful, but chilly morning!


Then later that afternoon we all went to my race packet pick up in Ogden. We were showing Mitch, Janine, and Conway the full XTERRA experience.


Friday night was the Night of the Champions dinner. After eating a plate of salad and gluten-free pasta, they announced the regional champions in each age group from 15 to 70+ year old. All of the age-groupers that are region champs are the ones who got the most points in their region from the races that they have raced in this year. In the picture above are the Northwest region champs in each age group. That's me in the brown shirt and blue jeans!


Saturday morning! Getting my bike ready in T1. My running shoes are in T2 up at the Snowbasin resort about 3,000 feet up the mountain.


After warming up on the bike and in the swim, its already close to starting time! I'm in the orange cap. The male pros are in the blue caps, female pros in pink, and the age-groupers in the yellow. My orange cap is for the jet-ski to find me while I'm swimming so they can film me underwater for the Xterra tv show.


Conway is singing the National Anthem right before the start! Other than dog mushing, singing is his passion and he also would like to have a career doing what he loves to do.


Mere seconds before the cannon went off....


The swim start was a mass start so that made it more interesting! There were 3 different XTERRA races going on this morning, first was the XTERRA USA Championships, the XTERRA Utah (non-qualifier for Maui and open to anyone), then the Sport XTERRA which was half the distance of the USA and Utah races.






The swim was two half-mile laps and the jet ski found me when I was about to finish my first lap.

I have been working on my swimming technique ever since I had it scrutnized by Bob Bruce in Bend and I'm getting close! My swimming is starting to feel more powerful and not so much effort is being wasted being inefficient.


I'm swimming by the XTERRA Utah racers waiting for their mass start.


Out of the water! Its a long run to T1.





Now its time to put in some hard effort. This bike course is not the easiest in the circuit. It is about 19 miles long with about 3,000 total feet of climbing from the Pineview Reservoir to above Snowbasin. This is where the pure mountain goats stand out!


My coach Conrad says that he's not a good climber, but today was an exception. By the end of the bike Conrad was 5 minutes and 20 seconds ahead of 2nd place and he held it through the run! "I'm feeling strong!" was what he said to my parents when he passed by them on the last steep climb of the bike course.

After about 2,300 feet of climbing comes the steepest and hardest climb of the bike course!


Here's what the hill looks like! After this hill there's still about 3 miles of steady uphill singletrack.

Conrad running on his way to the win!


The trail run was 5.8 miles of rocky singletrack with some stretches of jeep roads and several brutal hills to climb! My overall time was 3 hours and 5 minutes.


Today was a good but challenging day for me. I went into this race a little more nervous than usual but then after the swim I felt better. On the bike I started to feel tired at mile 15 (which doesn't happen very often for me) so I slowed down to conserve energy for the run. But I didn't realize until later that this tired feeling was the effect of being close to 8,000 feet. My coaches Amber and Conrad prepared me really well for this race, my fitness was very good and I was as strong as I could be today. I still got 2nd place in my age group and I'm happy with that! Racing at altitude takes a different strategy and body awareness, and I learned today that I can dig even deeper. This is what it takes to do this sport that I love, and I love finding out new things about racing and myself and how far I can push!

Now its time for another little training block to prepare for the XTERRA World Championship in Maui on October 24th! In two days we will be flying from Seattle to Maui and staying with my sister to put in some quality training and quality living in Maui!































2 comments:

Sara Cox Landolt said...

Again, gorgeous pictures from the event, wow what a venue!

Cool that your cousin got to sign the anthem before the race!

Thanks for sharing one of the steep hill pictures - wow!!!

Congratulations on 2nd place & enjoy the time with family while prepping for the World Championships! What great opportunities!

Nils Nilsen said...

Way to go Taylor! Nice to see the hard training is paying off. Good luck with Maui, tell your parents hi for me and the entire crew at Triathlete magazine! We are rooting for you!